Club History

Scottish Internationalists


1920 – France, Wales, Ireland and England
1921 – England

Finlay Kennedy played in the school XV from 1907-09, he played in the cricket XI and was the athletics champion!

On leaving school he went almost immediately into the FP 1st XV and played regularly until 1922 apart from the war years. He was captain from 1911 until 1921 and played in the Edinburgh team from 1910-21.

In 1919 he was chosen, many thought somewhat belatedly, to play for Scotland and on New Year’s Day 1920. When he took the field at the Parc des Princes and became the first Stewart’s FP internationalist. Scotland beat France by a goal to nothing, Kennedy converting a try by G B Cole. Later in the year, against Wales he scored two magnificent penalty goals from near the touchline just inside the Welsh half which virtually won the game for Scotland. Against Ireland, Kennedy contributed 7 points in Scotland’s win by 19-0. Unfortunately, they lost at Twickenham 13-4 thus depriving Scotland of the Grand Slam.

At the beginning of the next season, Kennedy was unable to play due to injury and a recurrence of Malaria contracted during the war. He was restored to the team for the Calcutta Cup match. He had the honour of leading the forwards who now included his team mate J C R Buchanan and so for the first time two Stewart’s FP’s played in the same Scottish team.

It was a great shock when only four years later this fine forward died, largely because of the debilitating effect of the illness which he had borne with typical courage and humility.



1921 – Wales, Ireland and England
1922 – Wales, Ireland and England
1923 – France, Wales, Ireland and England
1924 – France, Wales, Ireland and England
1925 – France and Ireland

John Ceil Rankin Buchanan – known to contemporaries as Rankin or the more familiar ‘Buckie’. He played in the School XV from 1912-15 first as a full back and then as a forward. He captained the school in his last year before being commissioned into the Black Watch and being wounded on The Somme. He was mentioned in despatches. During the Second World War he was again mentioned in despatches as a Colonel in the Royal Army Medical Corp.

He resumed his playing career in 1919 and played Inter-city before gaining his first cap against Wales in 1921. He scored a try in the 14-8 win.

He played in every international over the next three seasons and was rewarded by being made captain of Scotland in 1924. He moved to England and played for Exeter and gained further caps in the Grand Slam year of 1925 alongside J W Scott.

Buchanan was also honoured by being chosen for the combined Scotland/Ireland team in the 1923 Centenary match and he was the first Stewart’s FP to be chosen for the Barbarians. In 1923 he played against Cardiff and Swansea; in 1924 he captained the team against Cardiff and scored a try and played against Swansea and Neath. In 1925 he was appointed to the Barbarians committee and played against Newport and Cardiff.

He was held in the highest regard by the medical world having served in many remote parts of the Commonwealth, East Africa and the South Pacific Islands (where it is said he introduced rugby to the Fijians!). Latterly, he was Chief Medical advisor to the Secretary of State for the Colonies and, in recognition of his services, he was awarded the KCMG in the 1961 Queen’s Birthday Honours list.

He died in February 1976.



1925 – France, Wales, Ireland and England
1926 – France, Wales, Ireland and England
1927 – France, Wales, Ireland, England and New South Wales
1928 – France, Wales and England
1929 – England
1930 – France

‘Jumbo’ Scott played in the school XV in 1918-19 but on leaving school gave up rugby. He joined the FP’s in 1920 and was soon a member of the 1st XV. His height and weight were exceptional for those days and his two handed catching in the line-out was outstanding. His handling was as good as any back and he could run the 100 yards in 11 seconds, so it was little wonder that he was a frequent try scorer.

In 1923 his ever improving play earned him a place in the Inter-city team. The following season he captained Stewart’s FP and won his first cap against France. He played in the Scotland Grand Slam winning team of 1925.

He left to work in England and gained further Scottish caps while playing with Bradford and Waterloo. Unfortunately, he died in 1949 at the comparatively young age of 48.



1930 -Wales and Ireland

Bill Agnew played in the school team 1st XV from 1926-29. He was over six foot, 13 stone in weight and he played centre! However, he moved into the forwards when he joined the FP’s and immediately played for the 1st XV. He was selected for the international trial gaining his first cap against Wales, still only 19 years of age. He was the youngest ever Stewart’s FP to be selected for Scotland.

He also played against Ireland and joined the Barbarians Easter tour to Wales where he played against Cardiff. The following season he played for Edinburgh. He moved to England and sustained injuries in a motor bike accident and apparently lost interest in rugby. Sadly, his great footballing abilities were lost to the game.



1932 – South Africa, Wales and Ireland
1933 – Wales, Ireland and England
1934 – Wales, Ireland and England

Mark Stewart captained the school 2nd XV in 1920-21 but had to give up the game for health reasons. He joined the FP’s in 1923-24 and soon became a regular member of the 1st XV. He captained the team in 1928-29. His fine physique was put to good use in line-out play and he was a good runner with the ball. In addition, he was a constructive thinker and had great tactical awareness on the rugby pitch.

He played for Edinburgh from 1930-33 and gained his first cap against the touring South Africans in 1932. He led the forwards in 1933 when Scotland won the triple crown and was captain in 1934.

After his playing career was over he took up refereeing and served on the Edinburgh District Union committee from 1936 until the outbreak of the war. He was President of the Football Club from 1948-50 and the Stewart’s College club from 1952-53. In 1965 he was elected vice president of the SRU and became President the following year, the first Stewart’s FP to hold the office.



1938 – Wales and Ireland

‘Jake’ Borthwick played in the school XV in 1927-29. He became a regular in the FP1st XV and was chosen for Edinburgh in 1932. He played regularly in the district matches for the next six years and played in several trial games. However, he finally gained recognition and was selected as a reserve for the 1937 international against England.

His workrate as a forward was exceptional, his positional play was exemplary and he was an expert in the lost art of ‘dribbling’.

His captaincy of the Stewart’s Championship side of 1937-38 was a great factor in its success and it was only fitting that he should be selected to play against Wales and Ireland in that season.

During the war he served as a Major in the Royal Army Medical Corp in West Africa and was awarded the MBE for outstanding medical work. After the war he became a committee member and was elected President of the Stewart’s College Club for 1961-62.



1947 – Ireland and England

Ernie Anderson played in the school XV in 1935-36 and became first choice scrum half when he joined the FP’s until the outbreak of the war. His first representative honour was playing for Edinburgh in the 1938 Inter-city match. During the war he served in the Royal Air Force for whom he played Inter Services games and played for Scotland against England in the Services International at Twickenham in 1944.

Returning to the club in 1946 he was elected vice captain and was an outstanding personality in the Stewart’s championship winning side of 1946-47. He played in the final trial and was capped against Ireland and England

He did not gain any further caps but he was reserve on several other ocassions and in 1951 captained Edinburgh in the Inter-city matches and for the Cities XV against the touring Springboks. He was a brilliant sevens player and figured in many Border triumphs

Sadly, a severe injury in the opening game of 1952 caused him to retire from rugby and the game lost one of its outstanding personalities whose sporting attitude both on and off the field was always exemplary.



1949 – England

Stephen Wright was a great all rounder when he was at school. He captained the cricket XI, was vice captain of Stewarts College, secretary of the Tennis Club, golf champion, member of the 1st XV and dux of the school – a remarkable record.

He played front row for the FP’s and soon played Inter-city in 1948 before being chosen as a reserve against Ireland. He was capped against England at Twickenham.

The following season he joined the RAF and played in the Inter Services Championship and played in two more trial matches.

On his return to Edinburgh after National Service he played No 8 and played in several International trial matches. In 1953-54 he was reserve for the Scottish team on three occasions.

In 1956 he took an appointment in London and went out to Ghana as Regional Director with the British Council. In 1959 he was killed in a motor accident. It was a most untimely death of a young man of great intellectual gifts, athletic ability and formidable character.



1952 – England
1953 – Ireland and England
1954 – France, Wales, Ireland, England and New Zealand
1955 – France
1958 – Wales, Ireland and England
1959 – Wales, Ireland and England

Grant Weatherstone was an outstanding athlete at school, being Sports Champion in both 1948 and 1949. He captained the school 1st XV in 1948-49. He made his debut in the FP’s the following year and played regularly except when injured until 1959-60. He captained the side in 1954-55 and 1956-58

In 1951, he played in the Inter-city and after being reserve in the final trial gained his first cap against England. The following year he played against Ireland and scored his first international try against England. He played the next six internationals including the All Blacks but was injured before the French match in 1955 and was out for the rest of that season.

For the next three years he seemed to be out of favour with the selectors despite the fact that his regular club centre Keith Macdonald was picked at centre for Scotland on seven occasions. Finally, Weatherstone was recalled to the Scottish team in 1958 and gained seven more caps. He represented Edinburgh, toured twice with the Barbarians and played for Major Stanley’s and Steele Bodgers’s XV.

He was definitely one of Scotland’s finest wingers. He was unlucky that he did not play in strong Scottish teams as he would have scored many more tries had he seen more of the ball. In addition, it hindered his chances of being selected for the British Lions. However, a recurrent shoulder injury forced him to retire from rugby in the middle of the 1960-61 season.



1955 – France, Wales, Ireland and England

Bill Relph played in the school XV in 1945-47. However, it was not until 1951 that he was selected for the FP’s 1st XV. Thereafter, he proved to be one of the club’s finest hookers. His first representative honours were for the Edinburgh team in 1954. He gained his first cap against France in 1954 and joined T G Weatherstone in the Scottish team. This was the first time since 1925 that two Stewart’s FP had been in the same team.

He played in the three remaining internationals of 1954. He continued to play representative games but was unlucky not to add to his caps. He captained the Club in 1957-58 when Stewart’s won the Championship. He was also an accomplished sevens player and gained several winners medal including Melrose in 1956.



1956 – France, Wales and Ireland
1957 – Wales, Ireland and England

Keith Macdonald played cricket in the school 1st XI from 1949-51 and rugby for the 1st XV in 1950-51. He was the first Stewart’s boy to be picked for Scottish School boys against England but the game was cancelled due to bad weather. He became a regular member of the FP 1st XV when he left school. He played in all the 1955-56 District games and this led to him being selected to play for Scotland against France, Wales and Ireland but a leg injury prevented him from playing in the Calcutta Cup match against England.

The following season injury hampered his opportunities to play and it was not until December that he was back playing regularly. Nonetheless, he forced himself into the Scotland team and he played against Wales, Ireland and England and toured the Midlands with the Barbarians.

Injuries again kept him inactive in 1957-58 until the last few weeks of the season but in 1958-59 he was fit enough to play in District matches and trial games. In fact, he was selected to play against England partnered by Grant Weatherstone, which would have been an historic occasion for the club, but on the morning of the match he had to withdraw due to his recurring knee problems.

He was an outstanding strong running centre with a powerful hand off but it was probably for his defence that he was most respected. This was put to good effect by Scotland at a time when their attacking abilities were seldom put to the test and the press accorded him high praise for his ‘devastating tackling’ on more than one occasion. Unfortunately, injuries cost him many opportunities of playing more internationals.



1958 – France

Mike Robertson proved to be a versatile rugby player as a schoolboy and first played for the school 1st XV as a scrum half only to transfer into the pack in later years. On joining the FP’s he soon made his mark as an energetic wing forward playing more than one occasion for the 1st XV. He completed his National Service and became a regular in 1949-50.

He was also an accomplished sevens player and was a member of the team that won the Gala tournament for the first time in 1952. In 1953 he joined Gala after he took up an business appointment in the Borders and it was as a member of that club that he was capped against France in 1958.



1960 – France
1964 – France, Wales, and New Zealand

Gregor Sharp played in the school XV from 1950-53 and was captain in his last year. He was also vice captain of the school. On leaving school, he was immediately introduced into the stand-off position in the 1st XV where his tactical awareness and kicking ability, especially drop goals, were the foundation of the backs’ atttacking skills for well over a decade.

His first taste of representative rugby came in 1956-57 when he played for Edinburgh and the following season after playing District and trial matches he was selected as reserve for the England match. He was again reserve in 1958-59 and was honoured by being chosen to play for the Scotland/Ireland XV versus England/Wales in the Jubilee games on 17th October 1959. He gained his first cap against France in 1960.

He played for the Army while on National Service in England and was to receive the highest praise from rugby writers in the south. He played for the Combined Services XV against the French Forces.

He continued to play district games and was frequently a reserve for international matches. He was selected to play against France 1964 after playing brilliantly for the Rest XV in the final trial, dropping two goals and scoring a typically opportunist try. He played in the memorable drawn match with New Zealand when his tactical kicking helped Scotland deny the All Blacks any score.

It was unfortunate that he was a contemporary of G H Waddell (London Scottish) whose orthodox style appealed to the selectors more than the adventurous style of Gregor Sharp and this undoubtedly cost him the chance of more international caps.

In club rugby he was a prolific scorer, amassing over 1,000 points in the course of his career. The highest was 144 in 1963-64. He was a natural sevens player being in all the sucessful Stewart’s teams of his day, including the outstanding 1959 VII and the one that contested the 1962 Twickenham final.



1961 – France, Wales, Ireland, England and South Africa
1962 – France, Wales, Ireland and England
1963 – France, Wales and Ireland

John Douglas played in the school XV in 1951-53 and played for the FP’s when he left school. He completed his National Service with the Royal Corp of Signals and played for the B.A.O.R. against both German and French Army teams. From 1956 to 1958 he was engaged in business in London and played for Blackheath before returning to Edinburgh for the 1958-59 season.

He played for Edinburgh in the Inter-city games and won his first cap against the French in 1961. He retained his place and scored a try against England. He played in all the 1962 internationals and was selected for the British Lions to tour South Africa in 1962. He was the first Stewart’s FP to be awarded such an honour.

He was invited to join the Barbarians Easter Tour in 1961 and played against Penarth, Cardiff and Newport and again played in 1965 making a comeback after a major operation mid – way through the season! He also played in the Oakes Memorial Match in 1965 along with club mates G Sharp and A J W Hinshelwood.

John Douglas was one of the fittest and dedicated players ever to have played for the Club. He was a skilled exponent of the seven a side game and featured in the Stewart’s teams which were so successful from 1959 to 1965, including the seven who played in the Twickenham final of 1962.



1966 – France, Wales, Ireland, England and Australia
1967 – France, Wales, Ireland, England and New Zealand
1968 – France, Wales, Ireland, England and Australia
1969 – France, Wales, Ireland and South Africa
1970 – France and Wales

Sandy Hinshelwood played in the school XV from 1958-60 as a strong running centre and a prominent member of the athletics squad. When he joined the FP’s he was switched to wing and scored 11 tries in his first season. Injuries halted his representative recognition but he was selected on Scotland’s Canada tour of 1965. In one match he scored five tries! This earned him a reserve spot for the Calcutta Cup match at Twickenham later in the season.

He played for the Scottish Districts against the touring South Africans and scored two tries in the winning score of 16-8. He was invited on the Barbarians Easter Tour and played against Penarth, Cardiff and Newport scoring three tries.

He joined London Scottish after he moved to London and was capped in all the 1966 internationals and managed to score two tries against Ireland.

He was selected for the British Lions tour to Australia and New Zealand and scored three tries in the opening game. He played in two test matches scoring a great individual try in the Final Test Match. For the next two seasons, he was a regular member of the Scottish team and was chosen again for the Lions tour of South Africa in 1968. He played in the final Test only but finished the tour as equal top try scorer with Gareth Edwards. He gained a total of 21 caps and scored 5 tries in his career with Scotland.

He was undoubtedly one of the most accomplished wings ever to play for Scotland and he was more than a useful sevens player. He was a member of the teams that won the Murrayfield Sevens from 1962-65 and the Langholm Sevens in 1965.

He later emigrated to Australia.



1972 – New Zealand
1973 – France, Wales, Ireland, England and President’s XV

Ian Forsyth played in the school XV from 1962-64. He captained the 1st XV, was vice captain of the school and was Drum Major in the cadet force.

He immediately played for the 1st XV when he joined the FP’s and was a permanent fixture in the 1960’s. He was elected captain in 1969-71. In 1971 he played in all Edinburgh’s matches and was chosen as a reserve for the international team.

The following year he again played in all the District games and was finally awarded his first Scotland cap against the All Blacks in December 1972. He retained his position for the rest of the season and scored a memorable try against the Irish at Murrayfield. Receiving the ball on the 25 line he left the great Mike Gibson clutching thin air by means of an outside swerve and a powerful hand off to score in the corner.

He continued to play club rugby for another seven seasons and when he finally retired he had made over 370 1st XV appearances. He was a fantastic sevens player, famous for his perfect timing of the pass. He had won a winner’s medal at every Borders tournament by 1980.

He was elected President of the Daniel Stewart’s and Melville College Club in 1981 and was President of the rugby club from 1988-90.


Douglas Morgan

1973 – Wales, Ireland, England and Presidents XV
1974 – France and Ireland
1975 – France, Wales, Ireland, England, New Zealand and Australia
1976 – France and Wales
1977 – France, Wales and Ireland
1978 – Ireland, France, Wales and England


Alex Brewster

1977 – England
1980 – France and Ireland
1986 – England, Ireland and Romania


J H CALDERJim Calder

1981 – France, Wales, Ireland, England, New Zealand, New Zealand, Romania and Australia
1982 – France, Wales, Ireland, England and Australia and Australia
1983 – France, Wales, England and New Zealand
1984 – Wales, England, Ireland, France and Australia
1985 – Ireland, France and Wales

Jim was capped 27 times for Scotland and will always be known for scoring one of the best tries “ever” in Cardiff in 1982 and then the try against France when Scotland won the Grand Slam in 1984. He toured with the Ciaran Fitzgerald’s 1983 British Lions in New Zealand, playing in one test. He also played for Edinburgh District, the Barbarians and the Co-optimists. He was a member of the victorious Stewart’s Melville team that won the Twickenham 7s Tournament and he has a runner up medal from the Hong Kong 7s, when he was in a Co-optimist team which lost to Fiji in the Final.


Finlay Calder

1986 – France, Wales, Ireland, England and Romania
1987 – France, Wales, Ireland, England, France, Zimbabwe, Romania and New Zealand
1988 – France, Wales, Ireland and England
1989 – France, Wales, Ireland, England and Romania
1990 – France, Wales, Ireland, England, France, New Zealand and New Zealand
1991 – Romania, Japan, Ireland, Western Samoa, England and New Zealand

If any single moment symbolized the Scottish team spirit and gritty determination in 1990’s Grand Slam decider it was surely the sight of Fin Calder, early on in the match, collecting a loose ball and driving hard into the English forwards. He was hit by thundering tackle but somehow stayed on his feet long enough for the Scottish pack to arrive in numbers and, with Calder still holding the ball, they drove through and over the English pack, upfield, where a kicked penalty sent them on their way to victory. These were skills and qualities that Finlay showed at school on the rugby pitch.

He and his twin brother Jim, dominated school rugby both playing for the 1st XV whilst still in 3rd year. Finlay and Jim played for Scottish schools in their fifth year of school. Finlay showed early signs of being an original thinker on and off the rugby pitch. Faced with an enormous English Schools pack in a match in Glasgow, he suggested that they only offer a front row at the scrums to nullify the huge English pack. In those days, such tactics were allowed, if rarely tried. The plan nearly worked as a bewildered English team chased shadows for an hour before snatching a late victory.

Calder was a late-comer to international rugby; his twin brother Jim’s international career was already over when Finlay broke into the international team in 1986. Calder, alongside Derek White and John Jeffrey, formed a back-row partnership which is possibly the best Scotland have ever produced. Calder was a devastating attacking flanker and a ruthless tackler – he was a full-backs’ worst nightmare, charging after a high, hoisted Garry Owen and arriving simultaneous with the ball.

Despite his late start Calder went on to win 34 caps between 1986 and his retiral after the 1991 World Cup, and this after taking an early season sabbatical following the 1989 British Lions tour of Australia. Calder was the first Scottish player to captain the Lions since Michael Campbell-Lamerton in 1966 and the first winning captain since Willie John McBride in 1974. After this triumph, the 1990 Grand Slam and the tour of New Zealand which followed, Calder was understandably exhausted and announced his retirement, but was finally coaxed back for the 1991 World Cup. That Calder felt he owed this debt of gratitude to coach Ian McGeechan indicates the qualities that made him such a terrific player; uncompromising commitment and loyalty, on and off the pitch.

Douglas Wyllie

1984 – Australia
1985 – Wales and England
1987 – Ireland, France, France, Zimbabwe, Romania and New Zealand
1989 – Romania
1991 – Romania, Japan and Zimbabwe
1993 – New Zealand
1994 – Wales, England, Ireland and France


Graeme Burns

1999 – Italy
2000 – Tonga and New Zealand

Graeme George Burns won his third cap for Scotland when he was introduced as a substitute for Andy Nicol in the November 2001 Test against New Zealand. He also captained Scotland A for the first time in their thrilling 42-20 victory against Wales A and in their 33-13 success against Italy A at Old Anniesland in March 2001. He also captained the A team to their success against Italy A and their defeats against Ireland A and France A. He played in all three Scotland A victories in season 1999/2000 going on to appear in three games on the 2000 Scotland tour to New Zealand. He made his international debut when he replaced the injured Iain Fairley early in the second half of Scotland’s match against Italy in March 1999. That was his fifth appearance on the Scotland bench.

Educated at Stewart’s-Melville College he played for the rugby 1st XV and the cricket 1st XI. In fact, he showed considerable promise as batsman and was a brilliant cover fieldsman.

Burns represented Scotland at rugby at all three age-group levels, captaining the national under-19 team. He was chosen in both non-cap Tests on Scotland’s 1995 Development tour of Zimbabwe, and he played in three matches on the Scotland XV’s 1997 tour of southern Africa. He captained Scotland’s squad at the Rugby World Cup Sevens in Hong Kong in 1997 and the Dubai Sevens tournament later that year. He made his tenth appearance for Scotland A when they completed their clean sweep against England in March 1998. He has now played 25 times at that level. He played and captained Edinburgh Rugby for a number of years. His family farm at Pathhead in Midlothian.