Down Inverleith Way 14

Down Inverleith Way 14

After 10 minutes, the Stew Mel Senior 1st XV must have thought they were playing Rugby League with only 13 men on the pitch courtesy of two yellow cards. It was that kind of game, with one Kirkcaldy touchline worthy calling for the referee to go to his pocket after the second scrum!

Despite the dreadful conditions, it all started well, with focused attacking intent seeing James Ferguson crossing the Kirkcaldy line in the opening minutes for a try which was duly converted by Ewan Bowen for a 7 point lead. That said, the next ten minutes saw the Lang Toun men exerting considerable pressure, a literal torrent of penalties against, two men in the bin (the Kirkcaldy worthy got his wish!) and points on the board for the home team.

The barrage was, however, quelled, and, when back to a full complement, Stew Mel slowly but surely took charge of the game (despite a further three ‘yellows’ being produced – one for Scott Alldritt and two for the home side) to score another 3 tries and leave Beveridge Park with a win (8-26) and a bonus point.

It has to be said that both sides were having great difficulty with the referee’s interpretation of various situations and there can’t be many games, if any, that have produced more penalty awards. Obviously, things were exacerbated by the weather and this made the RBG’s tactical nous, control of the ball and strong defence all the more pleasing.

Watch out for Kevin’s match report – as long as his voice recorder survived the biblical downpour!

This win puts Stew Mel into second place in National 2 but the difficult fixtures keep coming and there is absolutely no room for complacency. Next Saturday (14th December) sees a trip to Old Anniesland to play the league leaders, GHK (3 pm kick off under lights). The corresponding fixture at Inverleith in September saw us produce possibly the worst performance of the season (that or Preston Lodge), allowing the Glasgow men to go home with a comfortable 19-44 victory. There is no doubt that everybody will be working hard this week with a view to a much improved display!

Your support would be greatly appreciated and there is no doubt the team enjoyed – and were bolstered by – the strong vocal backing in Kirkcaldy.

Chairman Fin patrolled the touchline at Beveridge Park like a wounded ‘Lion’ – he was desperate to play – stopping only to give updates on the Development XV’s match against Heriot’s. The smile on his face at 3.30 pm told everybody that the good guys had won (RBG 24 – Heriot’s 14)!

Team Manager, David Calder reported:

“In dank, dreich conditions the Development Team won a hard fought contest against Heriot’s. The opening 25 minutes didn’t see any scoring as two evenly matched sides went at each other. The RBG’s opening try, touched down by Alex Rappestad, came from a rumbling maul which started 15 metres from the try line. He then got his second try of the game by collecting a bouncing ball out of a lineout and skittling would be tacklers as he went for the line.

“Heriot’s started the second half very strongly and scored two converted tries to lead 14-10. Unbowed, a period of SM pressure lead to an Alex Wainwright try and a conversion by Murray Hanning, making it 17-14 to SM. The scoring was completed by Ally Scott after some driving play by the forwards with Murray Hanning again converting.”

This reverses the result of the earlier meeting at Goldenacre and sees Stew Mel move up to fourth place in the league.

On Saturday the Development XV travel to Malleny Park to play Currie with a 2 pm kick off.

See you on Saturday!

Phil Waine

1st XV match photograph by Keith Ferguson

Share this: