2nds Match Report v Dundee

2nds Match Report v Dundee

StewMel 2s vs Dundee 2s

” When Stew Mel backs and forwards combine in sumptuous interplay we can serve up rugby in some style but when we lose concentration, lose shape, fall off tackles, invite the opposition onto us …… we can make seriously heavy weather of it! 


Today was classic Stew Mel rugby!


Picture the scene, with coach guru, Gavin Sharp, away on marriage duties, ( his own in fairness ) he left his cubs in the hands of the brothers Grim and their lifelong cohort, Simon Scott …… risky strategy.    

Dundee arrived with only 15 players and asked that the game be started uncontested, effectively handing over the points. Nobody really wants that, and so in the true spirit of the game, Russell Geddes switched allegiance and agreed to play for our guests and in so doing, we had a full on match. 


And oh what a match!


The first half saw our pack completely dominating the set piece, scrumming the lads from Dundee off the park. Lineouts too we controlled with the massive Gareth Henderson dominating proceedings. In the loose David Devlin catches the eye as he carved through the Dundee defences and one has to wonder why he doesn’t play further up, as is the case for Thomas Spowart. He can play a bit too. 


Andy Smith motored in for a couple of early tries, both converted by the silky Euan Bowen it looked like it was going to be one way traffic.


Not so ……. Dundee did a Stew Mel on us and scored a wonderful try from their own 22 ! 


But having played the first half with the biting Icelandic wind in our faces, we turned around 19-13 up and looked forward to putting our guests to the sword in the 2nd half …….. not so quick!


The wind dropped, Russell left the field, uncontested scrums prevailed and we had a game on our hands! Dundee came right back into it and scored under the posts which should have taken the game to 19-20 ……. but, for some reason, the ref saw it differently and awarded us the scrum 5 meters out from our own line. 


We were off the rack and as I said earlier, when Stew Mel play we can play and that was to be the last time Dundee sniffed our line as we ran in tries from all airts. By the time our Captain, Connor McKay, barged over for his third …… it was game over.


Final score 48 -13 but the game finished on a slightly worrying note. 


One of the Dundee lads took a heavy knock and was taken off to hospital by ambulance ….. our thoughts are with him of course.


Fin, Jim and Simon

Share this: