2nd XV vs Watsonians: Match Report

2nd XV vs Watsonians: Match Report

This was our first game in a month, and, after losing the last two games, we had a point to prove. We certainly did that by scoring two tries in the first two minutes, which set the tone for the rest of the match.

From the first whistle we kicked to Watsonians, who caught the ball and box kicked it back to us. Harry claimed it and then showed great strength and pace to shrug off three tacklers and finish in the corner.

Next up was Bambi who, again, caught a kick, glided through a big hole in the defence and then went round the fullback.

Watsonians then started to get their act together, and, after we gave away a penalty, they kicked to the corner. From the resulting lineout they camped themselves on our 22 and a decent run by their 7 resulted in a try.

We soon took control of the game again, though, and, after a few quick phases, Zeges ghosted through a gap and touched down. He followed this up with another break and then executed a simple two-on-one to allow Dylan to score under the posts for the bonus point try with only 20 minutes gone.

The half was finished off by Joni cutting a good line off Zege’s shoulder to find another gaping hole in the visitors’ defence. In difficult windy conditions we had played some good attacking rugby. Discipline at the breakdown was the only downside.

We started the second half with the same intensity as the first and spent the first five minutes camped in the Watsonians 22. From Joni picking up off a scrum and some quick clean ball, Gav picked up and bundled his way over. Christy then got in on the action and thus became top scorer for the 2nd XV this season.

We had been dominating scrum time all game, so, when we got a scrum five metres out, the front five were instructed to keep the ball in the scrum as we were taking it over. After being reset, we walked Watsonians over, allowing Joni to dot down. I think the front five would still claim the try as theirs, though!

After this we emptied the bench. This allowed debuts for Ali McMillen and Morgan Ellis, who are part of the ever growing Heriot Watt contingent – thanks go to Stuart for this. It also was an opportunity for Ally Borland to get his first game time since getting injured in pre-season.

After another solid game, Jordan got himself a brace by using a combination of power and pace. He was also helpfully encouraged by shouts of “back yourself” from Christy. These allowed us to break the 50 point barrier and finish off a good performance. The only slight downside was our excessive penalty count at the breakdown and Gav getting a yellow for one of those offences.

Overall it was a solid defensive performance, with Watsonians lucky to get the one try they did. In attack we showed some good interlinking between the backs and forwards which we can hopefully take into our remaining fixtures.

Andy Fraser

Share this: