2nd XV vs Currie: Match Report

2nd XV vs Currie: Match Report

Currie 28 – Stewart’s Melville 33

We could not have asked for much better than an away, bonus point win. There was a bit of early season rustiness but some good attacking play. The game was stop start due to a pernickety ref and the boys adapting to the new rules. 

A big thanks must go to Ethan Brown for getting out of his death bed and giving the team 5 minutes. The next thanks goes to Dylan Lindsay, who stepped in to play prop, a position he has not played recently. The final thanks goes to Andy Bryce for the way he took the news that we had to drop him from the bench because the management made the mistake of thinking we could have four instead of three on the bench with only one player to give front row cover. 

The game started well, with on form Sean Murchie darting through a hole in the midfield and running round the fullback. After being all over Currie, we let them back in with a number of penalties, one of which they slotted for the 3 points. 

As the referee started to lose patience, Adam Howie and the opposition nine were shown yellow –  Adam for lying on the wrong side (which seemed harsh)  and the Currie boy for a spot of dancing practice on Adam’s back. 

A good driving lineout resulted in a Currie second row being shown a straight red for a punch at Stath’s head in front of the ref. With the man advantage, Dylan made a barging run through the defence and this then resulted in Fraser Morrison dotting down. 

To finish the half we scored a great try. An initial break from Mickey ended with him offloading to Neil Graham,  who popped it off the deck for Adam to stroll under the posts. After knocking on the resulting kick-off, we conceded another penalty which Currie duly slotted. 

We made a bad start to the second half, with Currie scoring a try almost immediately after the break. From the kick off, however, Andy Hughes soared high and caught the ball;  from the ensuing ruck,  Mickey made a sharp break then fed Adam to run in for his second try. 

At this point we started taking control of the game and Rob Patterson made a trademark dart round the edge of a ruck and went under the posts. From this point we should have added to our lead and closed the game out, but we let Currie come back and get a couple of late tries,  making it a tight finish.  

Overall,  it was a good first outing,  especially with the last minute changes to the team. We have a few things to sharpen up on, but things are looking promising.

Andy Fraser

Share this: